Wednesday, June 5, 2019

She's Gotta Have It Too on Netflix


The 2019 poster for the second season can be viewed on Netflix
I had the privilege and honor of working with the cast of Netflix’s “She’s gotta have it too” last summer in 2018. It was one of the most bizarre, beautiful, and amazing experiences. Every day was great the sun was shining brightly no clouds barely in the sky. Dragonflies flying, birds chirping, and singing. It was amazing to be on set. I am glad I took this opportunity because I was focused on a lot of corporate positions and jobs before. I love being able to be versatile and flexible with my jobs. So to get to step back into a more creative role was just amazing. I originally signed up with Central Casting in 2011. I was going to do some background acting/extra work initially but life took an extremely beautiful and dramatic turn. I winded up going into a production assistant role instead with Black Enterprise Magazine. As many of you who have followed my blog this was back in 2011 to around late 2013. So I put it on the backburner for a while. So I ended up resigning to the new office and I renewed my job with them. So many years 7 years passed by so it felt like the right time to resign up again. I reapplied and signed up again for Central Casting and the timing was perfect. It’s funny how things come together but exactly a year earlier I was at the Curl Fest in Brooklyn, NY. I was there with my mother actually and it just so happened the legendary filmmaker, director, and actor, Spike Lee was there promoting his Crooklyn line of t-shirts and hats. My mom and I walked over and we introduced ourselves. I promise you this was not a set up or a plan. This was all divine intervention and everything coming together. 
I signed up June 25, 2018 and about two weeks later I was on the set for my first filming of “Ray Donovan” on Showtime as an extra and I met one of my new closest friends actually who I found out was a screenwriter. 

 This was all divine intervention and everything coming together. Exactly one year later July 19 and July 20th….I was on the set of “She’s Gotta Have it too” for their filming of season 2 the Netflix series. It was a very special time and I met some amazing people on the set of the show. We have all become lifelong friends and are connected forever by that moment.  The cast was so sweet you can sense the closeness, the bond between all of them is pretty incredible. Spike was great on set it was like watching Picasso painting all of his famous works in front of you. You are speechless you just want to watch, absorb, and take everything in too. I was just glad to have been chosen to be in some of the scenes. I was honored and flattered.
            So what is “She’s gotta have it too” about it’s based on the 1986 film classic the movie that focuses on a young twenty –something painter, Nola Darling and her busy love life she’s in love with three men: Greer, Mars, and Jamie and her on and off again girlfriend, Opal.  Nola is a struggling painter and artist living in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn. Her life is busy dealing with her crazy girlfriends, her relationships, and making sense of everything happening around her community, her neighborhood, and society in general. The show couldn’t have come at a  more perfect time. Nola as a character is a feminist, a creative free spirit who will stick to her guns and doesn’t back down from any challenge thrown at her. She deals with the aches of financial struggles like all twenty-somethings finding their way in their life and new found career, relationship challenges, balancing a social life, keeping the ties between her and her parents strong, and then learning to find herself in a society that can be ready to go against you too for what you stand for or believe in as well. This character definitely has appeared in our lives for a great reason and she comes into mainstream television and cell phones with the Netflix app and streaming services with plenty of fun, crazy, and pot-stirring fun. There’s something about her that is so relatable for women especially women of color you see so many issues we all struggle with every day and it’s reflected in this character.
            The cast of “She’s Gotta Have it Too” stars DeWanda Wise (“Smoking/No Smoking”, “Knucklehead”, “The Weekend”,  “How to tll you’re a douchebag, and Someone Great) stars as Nola Darling, Lyriq Bent stars as Jamie Overstreet (“Acrimony”, “Rookie Blue”, “The Book of Negroes”, “Nappily Ever After”, “the Man in the High Castle”), Anthony Ramos Martinez is a theater, television actor, and singer, (“Hamilton”, “In the Heights”, and will star in the film adaptation of “In the Heights” coming in 2020, “A Star is Born”, “The Honest Thief”, “Godzilla: King of the Monsters ) Ramos also has released an album titled, The Freedom his EP) he has won a Grammy Award, Broadway Audience, and Screen Actors Guild Award, Cleo Anthony who plays Greer has starred in “Transparent” and “Extant”. The cast also stars Margot Bingham she is a jazz singer, songwriter, and has starred in HBO’s Boardwalk Empire, Chyna Lane (Life Support, Precious,  Cadillac Records, Life of Crime, The First Purge, and Push, and DeAdre Aziza is a Broadway actress starred in Passing Strange and Broadway play “Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown”). The cast are all well seasoned they make it so believable making each character colorful, bright, realistic, relatable. Especially with the show being filmed in New York City in parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan. You can see the diversity, the melting pot of characters we have in all parts of New York City.  Make sure you check out this hip, cool, funny, and sexy show.

The original poster for 2017 series premiered back in 2017

The cast of She's Gotta Have It Too (2017)

One year later 2018...wrapping up the taping and final episodes of season 2 of She's Gotta Have It taken in July 19-20th  2018. 
I took this picture July 2017 with director/filmmaker/actor and now Oscar Winner Spike Lee at the Curl Fest I suggest you guys all go....I didnt know he would be there who knew  a year later  in 2018 I would be on set as an extra funny how divine intervention works in New York City lol =)

            Follow the show on http://www.netflix.com/shesgottahaveit  and follow the show and actors on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. 






No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...