Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Soul Train Lady of Soul Honors 2020 goes to R&B songstress, Monica

Remember something in life dreams come true. They always do. This was summer 2006 when I met Monica in NYC at her listening party for her album, "Makings of Me"


















 

 

 

I was smiling and cheesing like a Cheshire cat when I found out one of my singing heroes was going to be honored for this year’s Soul Train’s “Lady of Soul Honor Awards”. I constantly tell people this story because it is a true testimony to me about dreams coming true and becoming a reality. You just have to believe in timing, the place, faith, and that anything can become a reality.  I always loved to sing growing up and didn’t realize it until I was about 3 I would sing here and there but didn’t really start letting it out until about 6 or 7. I remember seeing this girl she was skinny tall with short hair and she had the huge soulful voice. She was so pretty and she was singing about “Don’t take it personal (Just one of them days)”. I was probably watching BET I believe at the time and then I realized that she was going to become one of my influences in music, songwriting, singing, and even style. I emulated her and admired her voice. She didn’t sound 14 years old that’s how old she was when I discovered her. I didn’t realize oh my god. She’s 14! What but she sang like a woman who has lived two lifetimes.

I am talking about Monica I used to sing Monica songs growing up to my classmates and friends. We would be singing all of the time outside or inside class probably driving our teachers crazy. I remember in 1998 when the Boy is Mine came out, her second album and The Boy is Mine ft. Brandy went global. Brandy’s “Never Say Never” came out and I wore my poor c.d.s out. I would even sing against some of the girls in my class as we pretended to be Monica and Brandy in their feisty duet about a womanizing young man. So now that she is being honored I am so thrilled for her completely. I met her in person in 2006 in New York City she was in town to promote her album, “The Makings of Me” it was her listening party and my stepfather invited me along to be there with my friend. They asked me if I wanted to ask her a question I figured sure of course. I was so damn nervous heart pumping but something told me just go for it this is a big moment for you. It was that moment helped launched my journalism career. I used that experience and moment for one of my articles in college. I wrote about her album “The Makings of Me” and it was featured in our entertainment section for the October 2006 issue one of my first published articles. So that life changing moment will always live in my heart. I have been fortunate to meet or see many celebrities in person. So when you meet someone who really influenced you at young age it was mind blowing. I was 19 when I met her. I was literally just finding and discovering what kind of journalism did I want to study. I was always drawn to the arts, music, and creative fields growing up. I knew I was going to be a writer at some point but I didn’t realize I would be meeting one of my singing heroes face to face was surreal. I still can’t forget it and I probably will not I keep her autographed photo in one of my family photo albums.

That meeting struck something inside me that summer I remember I came back ready to attack and it gave me a jolt to pursue this field of music and journalism. I had to bridge the two of them together. I am glad I did and I continue to follow her career and music. Now fast forward 14 years later Monica is a mother of three children: Romelo,15  Rocco,12 and Laiyah, 7 are her three children, she has 7 albums her belt, has been featured on songs with Keyshia Cole, Usher, Brandy, and many more people. Grammy nominations, BET nominations, and Billboard achievements have never gone unnoticed. She can also add businesswoman and actress to her entertainment resume as well. She was featured on “Felicity”, “ATL”, “Khloe & Lamar”, “Family Hustle”, and many other shows. Monica’s amazing soulful and classically trained voice can light and uplift you instantly. She has elegance, she has always had the stylish quality in her fashion with her 5 feet 8 inch frame. She’s always looked like a model but then she has the tough quality a strength its pretty incredible because everything she has been through in her personal life. She channels that into her lyrics. That’s the best thing about a recording artist they can always pull through the pain, the hurt, the rawness, the love, the real emotions, all of those emotions you feel in your heart, your mind, happen for a reason. You have to pull everything to make it your songs connect your audience. She’s one of those artists who knows how to pull in her female audience where they can go “Yeah girl I can relate” you can identify with her and also feel empowered. Then she can woo her male audience with her lyrics and make them feel her appreciation for the hardworking, supportive, and loving men out there too. So to Monica congratulations on this award I am a big fan and so proud of my girl who inspired me a few moons ago when I was a little girl sitting in my room watching BET singing and dancing with my cousins in my living room to your songs. I hope one day I get to sit down professionally to meet you and discuss your journey through music to now.

 

Now please listen to this amazing Songstress’s melodic and powerful voice here are some of my favorite hit songs and some of yours too.

Follow Monica on all of her social media platforms Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and visit her website at  http://www.monica.com. Also visit her Be Human Foundation to help with benefits for all different communities with the most important essential needs they need for themselves and within their community. 

No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...