Friday, November 2, 2012

"Life of A Phonebanker & Canvasser during Obama campaign"

I have been part of the campaign for a while and doing some phonebanking. To be honest with you...they say God often gives you things to challenge yourself. So you can get better and you are able to make a difference. I believe and I know he was with me the day I signed up to be apart of the campaign he used my grandmother and mom to guide me (=) love them for doing this) and he guided me to challenge myself (it sounds silly but I believe this really did change me). I did phonebanking for the 2008 campaign but this time I was in Washington,D.C.. I was looking for a new job during the summer what I ended up finding was far more than I imagined. I left home during the summer and  I ended up at the right time and place actually from August 6, 2012 to October 23, 2012. I believe I became a phonebanker in September of 2012. I returned back home a couple weeks ago but it I knew I wanted to continue on it has been an excellent experience. 

I learned how to really communicate even better with people, listening to the residents of Virginia, Washington, D.C., Maryland, Ohio, New York, and all over have challenged me to realize and see that you have to really connect with people. Some may be discouraged to tell you their political beliefs, some are proud to share their political beliefs, and others go above and beyond donating their time and money to be apart of the campaign for Obama and Romney. I believe and appalud the young people I have met and will meet very soon who have been amazing giving their efforts and really just taking time out of their busy, hectic, and young lives to be involved. That shows  a lot you can choose to do other things or even work from home but those who made the move to put themselves out there is amazing. I learned about two websites that I will use in the future too. http://www.gottaregister.com and 
http://www.gotv.com 

It was not easy for me at all but I knew in my heart that I had to do this because it would challenge me. It would give me a chance to make myself stronger, more informed, more prepared to vote, It's been 4 years since I first voted and a lot has changed, this opportunity made me better prepared for the future. You talk to people with funny southern accents, some are parents working hard, some have children fighting over seas, some are young in their twenties just starting out, others are retirees sitting at home. When you visit these homes as a canvasser you are challenged to come and let these people open up their lives and who they are to you. It's an amazing gift actually that they confide their trust in you. Despite what their political beliefs are they are open to discussing what they believe in to you. 


Vote for who you want on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 at your local polls for those who can vote early please do so!




Now being a phonebanker is fun you are either given a Dial A Caller which is a new technology and you can use your cell phone or a land line phone to call out voters telling you if they are undecided, Pro-Obama or Pro-Romney. You can also do tally sheets and you can add up how many callers you have made to each and every individual. It is a great gift and it challenged me definitely. I have been to debate parties, I have walked around and it has been a great feeling. I have met new people to add onto in my life, and who I can call new friends. It's been a great experience enriching my life personally.  I am excited for the results. My team Ward 6, New York for Obama, and the OFA Harlem team I will support and will be proud to be apart of as well. So let the games begin next week. I give a special shout out to Tiernan O'Reilly, Jasmine Jones, David Culp, Mike Bowling, Jenny,  and the Democratic National Committee office, workers, staff, and security who were very nice to me =) 
For more information please visit http://www.barackobama.com 

No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...