Sunday, August 20, 2017

20 Years of Spice Girls and Spice World Anniversary


I went to see Spice Girls live in concert  I was 11 years old this was not my first concert actually  I have been attending concerts since a baby actually and I believe this was around the summer of 1998. Now I say 20 years ago cause I officially fell in love with the Spice Girls back around this same time too. I am a true 90s kid I watched Full House, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, I grew up wearing the oversized plaid shirts, big jeans, Jansport bookbags, watch



ing The Babysitters Club movies, and Boy Meets World. I was that kid but these ladies I didn’t know what have such a profound impact on me but would also influence many young girls and women all over the country too. I remember going to this concert with my childhood friend and classmate Meaghan Johnson (nee Soucek) we met at my Catholic grammar school in the fall of 1997 at Saint Peter’s Grammar School and we wanted to emulate the Spice Girls so badly.  I wanted to be Posh Spice because of her classy glamorous style and she wanted to be the sweet, lovable, and demure, Baby Spice. Looking back on that now so many things make sense now in a good way. We already kind of defined ourselves as females how we wanted to be seen to the world.
So back to the spice Girls we loved all of their songs, the messages about empowerment, standing up for yourself, and being confident. For two young pre-teenage girls we needed that especially in junior high school. At this time this was a great era for music actually the Pop explosion when N’SYNC, Backstreet Boys, Christina Aguilera, and Britney Spears would all join and be apart of this movement too in the music industry during the late 90s and early 2000s. We loved them so much we even performed and I choreographed a 5 minute routine for our talent show for the girl scouts. One thing I always loved was how they discussed Girl Power and being encouraged to stand up for yourself, stay motivated, and strong. For pre-teen and teenage girls that is really important. You are not aware of how much a message can affect children and teenagers in songs. I think many of singers and artists don’t realize their influence on their younger audience.  Luckily I had the Spice Girls and so many other 90s divas, pop stars, and artists who spread messages early to young ladies. I realize now we were all becoming mini-feminists you don’t realize how much a song, a message can empower girls to achieve their goals, their dreams, and whatever they choose to be in life.
            The Spice Girls had a major explosion young girls and boys adored them, does anyone remember the memorabilia during this time lollipops, posters, dolls, their movie selling out fast in theaters and on VHS tapes I am sure back then.  One thing I noticed a few years later the group took a hiatus and break for a long time. They decided to take a break for a while and focus on solo projects. The group has remained friends and still reunite to this day which is an amazing thing. They rejoined together for several events one being the 2012 London Olympic games where they all reunited and joined together to perform a medley of their hits.  The group has gone on to have a lot of success each of them now have been featured on talent competition shows like America’s Got Talent, Boy Band, starting their own clothing lines, have been featured in television shows, movies, and films. They have also added additions to their families too. The group has had so much success so who knew 20 years ago what they would accomplish with a song called “If you want to be my lover” jumping, kicking, and dancing in 5 inch platform shoes , sneakers, and heels.  So salute to the Spice Girls: Melanie Chisolm, Emma Bunton, Melanie Brown, Geri Halliwell, and Victoria Beckham on achieving their success and teaching young ladies don’t ever forget your Girl Power Spice.  This August in London they will have movie theaters playing “Spice World” the 1998 hit  movie about the Spice Girls.
           


           

No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...