Saturday, March 17, 2018

La Morena yep I am going to love the skin I am in and you should too always

I heard this term when I was younger I was about eleven or twelve I have heard it more I was watching some YouTube videos always keeping up with what's going on and being discussed in the media. Colorism came up in the Spanish, Asian, and African American community. I was listening to panel of female's discussion of African American featured on Essence magazine's segment on YouTube and the topic of women of all different complexions and backgrounds. I was listening to the panel one of the young ladies I actually recognized her and I knew her too. She and I worked at Black Enterprise Magazine at the time. So as I am listening I heard the word "Morena" and it took me back to when I was 11 and I was hanging out with one of my old childhood friends, her name was Deniz Perez (Deniz wherever you are love you mama!!!!! lol !!!!) and she was such a cool person to have as a friend growing up.

So as many of you know I grew up in Jersey City, New Jersey from 1997-2011 (I was there from the time I was 10 years old and left when I was 24 years old) so during that time I met a lot of people from all walks of life and grew up with, attended school with, and spent a lot of time in the past. So at the time I needed to get my hair done. It was some occasion at my school and my friend Deniz knew some places around her neighborhood I would be able to go to so I just remember I walked inside the Dominican hair salon, they asked if I was Dominican too because of my complexion (A lot of women get this comparison just handle it with class, smile, say "Nope, I am from the good ole USA I'm Black Boo!)  and I heard the word "La Morena"....I am like "What? what does that mean?" I was so young hearing these foreign Spanish phrases were funny and entertaining she taught me a lot of phrases back then. So I didn't realize wait a minute what does this mean and actually it was a phrase that has been used since the 1960s and 1970s to describe African American women and men (La Morena & La Moreno) so it's not a bad term don't be offended by it but the point I want to make to people is don't ever feel ashamed of your skin tone we come in different shades and I hate to hear people feeling inferior because of their skin color it should always be embraced, you were made by your parents, by God intentionally for a purpose in your lifetime. So embrace your skin color, your nose, your hair, and your roots they come from your ancestors whether it's East Asia, Europe, South America, the Caribbean, Africa, wherever your family is from embrace your genes, the things that make you unique and different.

So this Morena says boo I love my Honey Brown Sugar complexion I can look like Caramel and a Chocolate Godiva Bar in the sunlight during the summer time. So to all of my brown skin people I am dedicating "Brown Skin" by India Arie and "Pretty Brown" (Melanin Magic) by Remy Ma ft. Chris Brown. Cherish your melanin and whether you have alabaster skin to ebony brown onyx skin accept it and love it! One body, one soul, one life, one heart, and one shade of skin to own, obtain, and love!!!

No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...