Saturday, June 20, 2020

50th Anniversary of Essence Magazine






            I grew up reading many magazines as a little girl. Always an avid reader and I loved reading about people’s stories their goals, accomplishments, from the famous to the average Joe and Janes of the world.
There is one magazine I remember sitting at the hair salon my grandmother, Carlene would take me to get my hair done and see if her hair stylist could have someone braid it. I am and was her only granddaughter she raised 3 boys to become 3 great men so a little girl for her was a blessing she had a  chance to play a part of helping to raise me. I remember I was about 8 years old around this time and she was getting me ready to go take a trip to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. We were going to be visiting family friends. So I was getting my hair in cornrow braids and I remember sitting underneath the dryer one time and glanced over. I saw the magazine, Essence Magazine it was probably a summer 1994/1995 issue. I just remember picking it up and reading the stories. I didn’t know these people yet but some of the names I remember I was reading about people who I would come to know very well down the road later on in life.
            As I watched, reading and skimming through the articles, looking at all of the gorgeous women and men. I remember seeing pictures of Eddie Murphy and his wife Nicole, pictures of Halle Berry and her ex-husband, David Justice, Spike Lee, and all of these beautiful faces. A little eight-year old reading about people who she would later come to admire, respect, and even cross paths with some of these people when I became an adult. What I admired was seeing these impeccable beautiful and handsome people, all well accomplished and successful. It struck a cord with me early on aiming for success and higher achievement. I remember just seeing all of the fun and creative food recipes, drinks, the clothing, beauty products. For any African American female young or old she appreciates the beacon of successful African American women and men’s lifestyles.
            That is what I love the most it was about representation of the “go-getters” and the movers and shakers. The people who wanted to have their voices heard, their photos taken, their stories shared, and needed to because when ever their issue was printed or published to newsstands. There would be some woman or man during that time period who would read it and could connect to those stories. Essence Magazine influenced little girls like myself and sparked a passion of writing, reading, and learning people’s fascinating lives.
The legacy of Essence Magazine is for women and men of color to believe in achieving your best, most productive, colorful, and beautiful life.That is the life lall women and men aspire to be and should accomplish for themselves. For all African Americans it is possible and achievable. I believe picking up that magazine was a defining moment for me. I am telling the truth because every time I walked into a hair salon in New York City, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., or anywhere else in the world. It hooked and sparked my love of creating, writing, fashion, storytelling, and believing that for all African Americans and people of African descent you must believe despite setbacks or challenges everything is achievable and possible. Thank you Essence Magazine, to all of your staff, stylists, photographers, your editors, freelancers, writers, and every person who was on the cover who shared their life with us.  Please keep telling us great stories. Happy 50th Anniversary! and to the next 50 and beyond.
Also can we please give a shout out to the impeccable and gorgeous woman who is celebrating a milestone birthday, Naomi Campbell who is their cover girl for the May/June 2020 issue and looks amazing. A big fan of this supermodel diva who walks like a cheetah on the hunt. She’s a goddess and so amazing Essence is celebrating their anniversary and she her birthday this year. Is a beautiful way to commemorate this milestone.
Please visit http://www.essence.com for more information on their latest issues, upcoming events, and more.

No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...