Saturday, June 20, 2020

He changed the Business Magazine Game, Earl Graves left impact and legacy


I found out last month that we lost an African American pioneer who changed the business of entrepreneurship, when I heard about it. It took a minute to process what just happened because I was in a state of shock from all the souls we have been losing due to the pandemic. So when I heard that the founder of Black Enterprise Magazine, Earl “Butch” Graves, Sr. passed away it was a bittersweet feeling because although he doesn’t have to be in pain or suffer the symptoms and condition of Alzheimer’s disease. He is in a better place but it was bittersweet for the magazine, media, business, financial, and publishing industries.
The readers, viewers, and entrepreneurs who he impacted and touched all around the world with his magazines, television series, “Black Enterprise Business Reports” and “Our World with Black Enterprise”. He leaves his legacy with his three sons, Earl G. Graves, Jr., Johnny Graves, and Michael Graves.
            I was hired by Black Enterprise Magazine to work as an intern in the spring of 2011. I left my job as an administrative assistant for a real estate legal firm the year prior. I knew I had to follow my heart and go . I had just completed my second internship, and graduated from Hunter the year before.  My mother, a family friend, Genevieve helped me to work as a television production assistant and the timing was great. I learned so much from the broadcast team when I worked their for two years and it was life changing, opened huge doors for me. I treasure those two years because it was definitely a defining moment for me. I remember seeing Mr. Graves with his famous sideburns at their annual Christmas party in 2011. It was a funny moment I look back on the memory of meeting him. I laugh because here I am twirling literally in my dress dancing around with my co-workers and the owner of Black Enterprise is standing 2 feet away from me just laughing, having a good drink, and enjoying all of his staff. I never had a chance to meet him one on one. I will say though that he was a sweet, cool man and everyone loved working with him. You felt nothing but the respect, the admiration, and love of him from anyone who worked with him in the company.
            He changed the financial and entrepreneurship industry the magazine debuted in August of 1970 the first issue was released and would hit newsstands worldwide under Earl Gilbert Graves Limited. A little about his life though he was born January 9, 1935 in Brooklyn, New York. He was born in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of New York with two sisters.  As a little boy when he was seven years old he would help his uncle sell Christmas cards and give them to people in his neighborhood. That sparked his interest in becoming a businessman
He always had a drive and passion for it. It even came in handy his knowledge and experience when he attended Erasmus High School and went on to college Graves attended HBCU Morgan State University located in Baltimore, Maryland where he first started writing his newsletter initially before discovering he wanted to publish a magazine next.  He majored and earned his Bachelor’s degree in Business. He also pledged Omega Psi Phi fraternity. He was also part of the ROTC and attended Airborne and Ranger schools. Graves was definitely considered a Renaissance man of many talents and experience. He joined the military prior to starting his new found company. He volunteered for the Democratic National Committee and became a volunteer during the Lyndon B. Johnson administration. He also became an administrative assistant to Senator Robert F. Kennedy in 1965 when he was 30.
 His experience being apart of the small business administration he took that knowledge and used it to his benefit to create a magazine that would become a household staple, a beacon of hope for African Americans and all minorities, and a bible for entrepreneurs who were new to starting their own business.  This magazine and his entire publishing and production company inspired millions of people, vendors, small business, and large conglomerates which were featured in Forbes or Fortune magazines.  He opened the doors with his business expanding in different states Black Enterprise has other offices outside of his home office in New York City.

 The editorial and publishing team found the annual Black Enterprise convention and retreat bringing millions of small business owners and entrepreneurs together. In 1995 he published his book, “How to Succeed in Business without being white: Straight Talk on making it in America”. This book gave sound advice on how to achieve and make it in the business and people were able to take his cues, pointers, and find a way to start their companies without feeling any intimidation, fear, or mediocrity. He wanted African Americans and minorities to feel a sense of excitement about starting a new business and company. Ultimately it is exciting for a person to have a goal and vision to have a simple idea I want to start a business selling funny hats for people, faux fur coats, vegan clothing, name brand shoes, cooking utensils, etc. These ideas are words on paper but when you bring them to life and expand your vision. It becomes something amazing. It becomes reality and people are excited to try something new and that can make them smarter, healthier, and more business oriented.


No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...