Sunday, February 13, 2011

How to Survive College Life: My Little Survival Kit



"SURVIVAL KIT FOR COLLEGE LIFE" WRITTEN BY: CHLOE J. RICCARDO
So as a graduate of the Class of 2010 from Hunter College I never had a chance to really put some advice together for the students who will take a next step into the future of college. I have put a survival kit together for you all. I hope you all will enjoy this and will take some of these little tips into consideration as well.

TIP 1. You need people in your life who have been to college. I say this because it helps a lot. I am telling you this helps a lot because you need people around who have more experience than you when it comes to this believe me. One of these tips came in handy for me during my time in college believe me. I had several people around to show me the ropes before I even stepped foot on a campus. An older brother or sister, a cousin,uncle,aunt, a neighbor, or even an old teacher can help with this tip. If you keep this in mind I guarantee you will graduate from college on time, successful, and a little stress free.


TIP 2. The Library-- I know what you're thinking--BORING!! Boooo I don't want to go to the Library but trust me it helps a lot. I stayed in the library so much for doing homework, studying, or even chatting with friends. This helped a lot and it really did pave the way to some degree for me to get my focus and my act together. The library is your friend trust me. No distractions, nothing to really bother you. You keep your focus, you can concentrate, think clearly, freely, and it helps for all the papers you need. It also helps to ask the librarians for your research papers and to also gather what you need for all of your classes. The world of the library is an enlightening one I tell you.



TIP3.Get to know the most important people on campus...this includes the faculty. Try to get to know the people who are in charge of offices like the Board of Trustees. The head of the department, and most importantly the Dean of the College. I guarantee to you this will help in times of need when you really need to make important decisions or if you are stuck in a tough situation. Get to know them just saying hello or asking questions it shows you care, your interested, and your paying attention.


TIP4. Prioritize-I know how hard this is believe me...one of the things I had to learn the hard way and this probably didn't sink in heavily until I was a sophomore or junior. I think that's when I realized prioritizing helps so much. Try to do this...one buy an agenda, two make a chart for yourself, and three write down what's important to you while you're in college. What do you really want to gain from this 4 or 5 year experience of life. If you feel the need to get things on track just look at your list. For example, you are out partying with friends, you're working on a project, or you are managing a job working and going to college. A list will keep your focus on school, your classes, your education, your social life, and most importantly you! Without you there would be no student population. Without you there would be no successful colleges. That is something to keep in mind always. This is for you not for them. It's all about gaining experience.


TIP5.F.E.S.-Food,Exercise, & Sleep-Yes I said it The three most powerful components of the human body that help you properly function as a human being, a person, and to keep you healthy. Food is important good food healthy, clean, fresh food. I know sometimes college food can be a bit tricky at times to eat but I know on campus now they do serve fresh food. I learned this the hard way too. You often can get distracted doing a lot of things in college. You may participate in activities, work, take classes day or night, and may have other responsibilities. However, while you're in college this is your job. Your professors are like the employers you will very soon work with as well. If you are not performing your work, preparing, and studying for your classes to get there. You might as well not participate or show up. It is an insult to your professor and to your classmates. If you show up on time, eat a good breakfast, and have slept completely. I trust you will be able to focus and concentrate. Exercise while I attended B.C.C. (Bergen Community College) I kept this plan on my mind a lot. I knew the best way to focus was eating right before I studied, sleeping for an hour, and then waking up to prepare for my studies and doing homework. It helped a lot my Psychology professor stressed that to us and I took that seriously. A lot can happen in one day and I know sleep did pave the way. So F.E.S-Food, Exercise, and Sleep. Exercise in the morning for 30 minutes you will be focused, alert, awake, and energized. Keep the coffee to a minimum unless you have really fallen into a comatose state of sleep. Otherwise sugary drinks will make you crash. Water and Orange Juice will wake you up and keep you hydrated. I hope all of this helps. Good Luck incoming students and those who are attending classes now. You are the future leaders of this country. It is important for you to be responsible for this and to help as much as you can.

No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...