Thursday, April 12, 2018

How to survive when twists and turns come in the Job Market


How to survive twists and unexpected turns in the job market....

Just wanted to document this story it's been a crazy, hectic, and enlightening 3 months it was well worth it to be home, to focus on the future,  and had a lot to reflect on and realize everything really is a journey, it's all cyclical, and has a deeper meaning and purpose even when it comes to our careers. How you start something and how you finish something has a really powerful meaning. 

I have been home about 3 months since I had my last temporary assignment in January. As some of my readers know I went through one of the most toughest and enriching experiences anyone can go through when you’re young, trying to be professional, and find the best job /career for yourself. I left one of my temporary assignments because I was not satisfied with that job I had gone from filet mignon to rump roast in a matter of less than 10 months. I didn’t want to settle I had worked for a company for nine years for one of my staffing agencies Kelly Services and I had a variety of many different assignments and jobs all over New York City. In no way am not grateful for those jobs but I realized after my last permanent job and that experience I wanted way more for myself. I learned about the true word of wealth and worth. So let me tell you a little about being a temp and working around New York City 

I was grateful for those opportunities I had a chance to work in the Wall Street/Financial District right on Broadway where my initial temporary assignment started and I had a chance to work my last job there as well. It was a full circle moment I didn’t realize it until just now but looking back it was actually. I signed with Kelly on 61 Broadway Street in New York. I can say this now because they relocated so it’s ok. When I was a temp I was only 21 years old when I signed I just graduated with my associates degree in Journalism from Bergen Community College and that summer I needed to look for work right away.

I did after persistence and calling them every single day to find a job it worked and I was able to find something that was close to home it was the summer of 2008 and I got my first real temporary job with FINRA working across the street from Century 21 Department Stores an experience I will never forget. I remember walking in my brown strappy kitten sandals, I had on brown plaid Capri pants, and a brown top short sleeve fitted top, smiling and thinking “Girl, you did it! You have a job you have a way to support yourself now and earn money”. Now although I had a summer job and I was working. I still was not quite done with college yet. That experience is a whole different chapter of my life I will tell you all about later it’s a lot I can share. Now having your first real corporate job it transforms you. I remember an old family friend saying to me “Wow Chloe, you look very corporate today” in my pinstripe black suit. Yes I used to be more business like I wanted to make sure I followed the book and rules to the t when it came to me transferring from the college world over into the corporate world.
I did and it nailed me into many different opportunities over the city and I was able to sign with different staffing agencies between 2008-2017.
 I signed with over 8 staffing agencies some of you probably don’t even realize that. I did actually. I signed with Kelly Services first in 2008, I also signed with Jennifer Temps Staffing, Winston Staffing in 2013, Choice Personnel, Fourth Floor Staffing/Career Group, Office Team, and Execu-search. If it wasn’t for these staffing agencies they kept me busy whenever I needed sometime to fill in the gaps. These opportunities allowed me to work in the retail industry at companies like Talbot’s Clothing Store on Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue, NikeTown, Hudson’s Bay Company, Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, and more. I also had the opportunity to do temp jobs and work in the the medical industry in the anesthesiologist department at New York Hospital Queens in Flushing, Queens in the billing and coding section, Albert Einstein Medical College/Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx, NY , Water’s Edge restaurant. Insurance companies: Great American Insurance Company and Guardian Life Insurance Company.

 Also working for advertising companies: Place IQ, Food companies, Banza, LLC, Construction companies Omnibuild, Empire Core Construction, all of these companies allowed me to step inside and provide administrative support, retail support, human resources support, and more to them. I cannot forget the odd jobs I had too I worked as a phone interviewer for about five months, office assistant for Bob’s Discount Furniture, and sales associate at Macy’s Department Stores. All of these jobs have taken me to places I never even imagined and have provided me with knowledge, great work ethic, and even more interests in all of their companies.

So when you lose a job especially one you have worked hard for and have traveled all over New York City for. You’re pretty devastated when you lose your job. I don’t care what anyone says when you’ve worked as a temp for a really long time. There’s something very rewarding when you get to a level that you never saw coming and worked really hard for too. Going from picking up dirt and garbage one temp assignment and then having the opportunity to work in a corporate environment in front of the tallest building in New York City the Freedom Tower in front of the World Trade Center and 9/11 Memorial on the 22nd floor, in a beautiful office, how do you top something like that? Especially when I earned the largest salary of my life I went from $10/hr to making 4x time that in my salary. 

That’s why my pride was hurt because of losing that job. It made me dig deeper on a spiritual level, it made me fight harder physically I got back into the gym, it mentally made me into a warrior and a soldier. Some days you don’t even get out of bed. Yet you have to keep pushing and fighting to find the right job for yourself. You have to find everything that motivates you to keep going every single day. I love photos especially photos of when I was a kid, I am very sentimental and I  love to keep things from  when I was a little girl.  Those things remind me of who I am and where I am going. They keep me pushing so I remember not lose my dreams, my goals, and what I really want for myself as woman, as an African American woman, a person, as someone who believes that all of your dreams can really happen with persistence, time, little bit of luck, and connections you can see things blossom and thrive. So for me losing the job yes I did lose a small piece of myself I think I gained more at the same time and I learned how to rely on myself, those who want to support me, and realized that you have to keep going every single minute no matter what. I learned how to build better relationships professionally and personally at the same time.

After you are laid off the best thing to do is to take a deep breath, relax, take a walk outside, call someone right away,  and remember one very important thing “IT IS ONLY A JOB!” and YOU will LIVE! You will survive this situation and you will bounce back even better. Reevaluate your priorities, concentrate on what makes you happy.  Develop a strong support system you need people around you to keep you going, even if you may not have them there physically with you, calling people up, watching YouTube videos helped me throughout this time, reading on how to be a better professional reading different from The Washington Post, New York Times, and other online articles really helped me a lot, focusing on the positive things that you brought to your jobs, what made you happy, and what kept your previous supervisors and bosses satisfied with your job performance. Also have a plan B always for me I had time to prepare for my exit and leaving. I knew if anything were to come up to be ready because of the lay offs and budget cuts. So I know now always have a back up plan and be ready in case things do not work out. It’s called preparation. Always be ready that’s the key to making sure things will be secure for you, your well being, and life too. So the aftermath does not have to always be so bad you just have to know what you want most and it comes naturally too. I hope all of you no matter which career path you all take in life have a plan and a back up plan too. My back up plan actually really helped me survive and it was to my benefit and helped my family too. So for all of you have a plan B always be ready to survive and handle the experience always with a smile. You may feel indifferent but remember there is a bigger and better opportunity just around the corner I promise you that. 
           


No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...