Thursday, August 18, 2011

A brief timeline of my life in New York


There's a young lady out there who has really been inspiring me behind the scenes and she really has been making me love writing and the power to just express yourself. It's bringing me back to another place in my life.
This past weekend I was in New York getting my passport...It's so funny because as I am standing there looking at my documents. I notice several things. One thing I immediately notice is the fact that I see on my birth certificate the day I was born, the place I was born, and then of course my name. Life is strangely funny in certain ways. It's almost like I was supposed to be in New York all along. It's so funny....there are many things that could have stopped me or prevented me from being in New York but for some reason it always works out in my favor. Is it because I was born in New York perhaps? Does the city somehow know I am here when I am....it's funny.

As I am looking at my documents, observing this large empty post office that could be filled with tons of people inside but only just about eight or nine people behind me. I notice all these little kids around me restless playing and waiting for their parents to get their passports too. Then I see on my passport how the first time I got my passport I was fourteen years old. I remember that day well actually I was with my mom and we happened to be around the same area as her job.

So we got my passport ready because that year I was heading to the Bahamas with her old friend and her daughter. There certain things in your life you don't forget. I remember I was about to transfer to a new high school because I wanted to go to school to in New York.

I made this decision to leave the school I was at, all my best friends, who I never forgot but I left it for New York. Do I regret it no...not at all. New York changed me completely.

I loved being there and I have not one regret it has changed me but I never forgot where I lived, where I came from or any of those things.

There's a quote from one of my favorite celebrities that says" The things that we love stay with us and remain close in our hearts"-Josephine Baker. I love that quote because it's so true I have had a lot that has always remained in my heart. New York is part of that.

So back to the passport though...

I looked at the year and saw it was 2001 when i got my passport....it would expire in 2006 and it took me 5 years to get my passport renewed again which is hilarious...a whole decade to get my passport renewed because my life has been that busy.

So when I saw that it made me realize how over a decade how much I accomplished in New York....in 2001 of September I started high school...in 2002...I celebrated my sweet 16 in new york...in 2003 when I turned 17 i celebrated in NY again...in 2004 I graduated from high school at the most well known Cathedral (St. Patrick's Cathedral)...I also began working there....for a year I worked in New York at a radio station...in 2007 I started at Hunter College...in 2010 I would graduate from Hunter College....so it's funny...how things work out in your life...All of these things lined up for you.

I owe this city so much and I have a lot to discuss in 2011...I started my new job...learned how to really work two jobs, I owe this city tremendously and it keeps giving back to me and I to it....so I just want to say keep growing with me New York you and I will stick together. =)

It's funny how your passport and documents can tell you more about yourself than you can actually. 

No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...