Monday, January 11, 2016

Yep I am a millennial and proud...but how are millennials as parents?


How will the "Selfie" obsessed, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter conscious twenty and thirty-somethings be as parents? I believe we may supersede expectations of past generations before us and will continue to do so if we stick to our traditions and values.  I believe we will surpass their expectations. Some of their perceptions are we may raise children who will be overconfident, condescending, rude, or impolite. A lot of Millennials actually grew up in households with parents who had traditional core values and believed in strong family values as well. Some of the generations before us believe that we are spoiled, entitled, yet we struggled especially during the mid part of the 2000s when our economy suffered greatly. One thing I love my generation and am proud to be a part of it. I feel like I am part of something so much bigger actually. I am so proud I witnessed the beginning of social media to be directly apart of it and witness the beginning of Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and see how just so many companies, celebrities, and so many people have evolved all through millennials.

We have upgraded our parents, our grandparents. We can reach them instantaneously now as well. So I wonder how will we be now as parents? I have about seven girl friends who I grew up with as a child who have now become parents. I have been an aunt myself since I was seven years old my older brother has 3 children two boys and one girl ages 22, 17, and 15. I also have two stepbrothers who are 27 and 19. I grew up around my younger stepbrother. I learned quickly how raising a boy is so much different than raising a girl.

 I was pretty young yes I know but it allowed me to grow up very quickly and learn things about life even faster. I often wonder how will I be to my own children. How will I treat, raise, talk, and interact with my own children. Will I be able to give them what was been given to me and double that. Can I raise a sane, smart, thoughtful, loving, level –headed, and kind human being? It takes trial and error I believe as well. Your children have to learn right from wrong as well before they acknowledge what is the proper way to conduct themselves in society and around different types of people of all backgrounds. I believe our children will be even smarter, wiser, and fast paced than us. So you know what that means we have to be patient, more mentally sharp, and have a lot of stamina to keep up with our children even more. Our society changes a lot so I believe for us to interact, communicate, and stay “cool and hip” we have to internalize all of the tech-savviness and knowledge as much as possible. I think if we continue on that path, dig down to old traditional values of teaching our children respect, know that I am your mother….not your friend. I am you father not your friend. I am not saying you cannot be a friend to your child but I am saying you have to set the foundation you will respect me, my household, obey, and honor me as well. I mean showing appreciation, showing affection, showing that you actually care as well.

 

You also wonder how will I raise my child can I buy a home, can a buy a house for my child or children and support them. Will I be able to give them a decent education and start a college fund for them as well. For me, my friends, my relatives it does put a lot into perspective. I believe things will work themselves all out. It’s just a matter of also realizing it’s no longer about “me, me, and me…it’s about you and your family too”. It’s about raising a child, prioritizing your life to make sure both your and your child(ren’s) needs are met.



"Let me take a selfie" video from 2014


No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...