Saturday, January 6, 2018

"New York City Girl's Christmas Miracle"


I cannot believe this happened to me, but it really did I have to pinch myself a little bit sometimes to know it really did happen. I remember crying so hard, calling my parents I had been denied cause I didn’t think anyone wanted to represent me at all. I feel like this story would take too long for me to tell you. I wish it could be a short movie because this really did happen to me. I had a crazy 2017 some of you know the details some of you probably do not know everything that happened. I will tell you when you believe in prayer, God, and learn to believe that yes things can work out. You are surprised and amazed just how things can unfold in front of your eyes.
Here’s the short version I worked for a company called Kelly Services Staffing for nearly a decade. I started working there in June of 2008. I was 21 years old and I just earned my Associates’ degree in Science focused on Journalism from Bergen Community College. Now here’s the thing Kelly Services and I have been thick as thieves I have been very loyal to this company whether if I was in college studying for my degrees, completing internships, or even just working on other part-time jobs I always reached out to them too.
I was laid off this summer in June of 2017 after returning from a vacation and trip to Los Angeles, California and Las Vegas, Nevada I planned this for a long time because I wanted to not only go back to the west coast to Nevada to see one of my favorite performers live for the first time ever!
My boss knew almost a year in advance this was coming but what all the staff and employees didn’t know was we were going through organizational structure changes, people were being laid-off even when I first started working for the company. I started out as a temp under Kelly Services. I started with Hudson’s Bay Company working under Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor department store as a temp employee in June 22, 2015 and a year later I worked up to becoming the Facilities Financial Coordinator. I worked for the company two years this was a great role for me I was groomed by someone who has become a dear friend of mine and taught me a lot about life too. Now after the layoff I called Kelly Services right away that was my initial plan I knew that if anything happened to me if I fell on my face I could go back to working for different staffing agencies especially them. I did that I completed 3 assignments the last one I wouldn’t be able to finish because at the same time while I was laid off. I was also looking for full-time employment whether in my background and field of media, journalism, or publicity. Or an executive assistant position anything that would get me back on my feet again.
The lay off process-the healing after the job-break up after my job laid me off I received a generous severance package they took great care of me along with the process of leaving the company. I learned some valuable lessons around this time that changed me but also taught me never stop being well to people. An old coworker told me don’t be so nice to these people. I think it worked in my favor I believe if you treat people with decency, respect, and kindness because they deserve it in a cold, crazy world. You need that I guess for me because I see so many crazy things happening especially in media it drives me to want to put some good out there. I don’t like seeing anyone have to struggle for anything if I can help I will.
So the next process I thought I was going to be able to complete my assignment I was asked and called in for 5 interviews back to back in a week for jobs this summer which for me was a huge blessing. It allowed me to focus on what I wanted to do and what I also would need to do to get there too. I needed to fix my resume and reconstruct it from the past to the present. I wanted to improve my job interview skills too. I also needed to focus on which career and field would I want to go back into too.
                  I did I worked on my resume with help a lot of guidance, tutorials, and templates from different career sites, my family, different people who I interviewed with too, and a great website. So that part worked out. Now the part that was a bit unfair was my job denied me benefits because of good cause claiming I just quit and left I wouldn’t just leave them that way I have learned how to leave in a dignified and classy way no matter how the job may end whether permanent or temporary.
I left the job because the meetings coincided with the temp assignment I was going to be a data entry clerk working for an electronic solar shades company in Long Island City, New York called Mecho Shades Systems. I would have stayed believe if this never worked out but I believe someone above had something else in mind.
                  This worked out but I had a lot of challenges ahead of me and with all of these lessons it worked out in my favor. I was turned down 4 times by legal aid and lawyers to represent me even when I offered to pay them the $1,000 dollars for their legal fee. I realized I would have to depend on myself for this hearing and represent me. Luckily I am someone who’s sentimental and great with dates, I am also good at record keeping, and I watch a lot of court shows too. So all of this knowledge came in handy. Sometimes paper work can be our best friend and very beneficial for you too. Sometimes saving receipts, old documents from work, government official offices: DMV, Passport Offices, IRS, anywhere this comes in handy. All of the interviews I had during the summer and fall 2017 and the e-mail requests I received was beneficial during the hearing and the meeting too.  This whole situation for me it was a miracle, it was a blessing, it taught me the greatest lesson of them all do not give up on yourself ever.  I was able to receive a beautiful early Christmas present and thanks to the support of so many friends, coworkers, family members, and people who were behind my back the whole time. 

No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...