Monday, March 23, 2015

50th Anniversary: Rodgers & Hammerstein's "The Sound of Music"


I truly love this movie this movie represents my childhood, why I think I wanted to be a singer as well. I used to sing in plays in the choir growing up as a little girl, I was in the choir in high school, and of course you all know I have grown up with a lot of music around me. If it wasn’t for "the Sound of music" I probably wouldn’t have passed my “Music, Art, and Drama class” or my “Music Appreciation” class back in college. This film is one that touches your heart, you instantly recognize the music, you start singing along with the lyrics. So I dedicate this blog entry to the beautiful, talented, actress and legend that is Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer (fix) who starred as Maria and Captain Von Trapp along with their 7 Von Trapp children within the film. The film took place during War World 2 in Austria right at the beginning before Germany and everyone were going against each other during this time. The film was actually shot in the Spring of 1965 in March. 
A young twenty-eight year old,  Julie Andrews auditioned for the role that would change her life. She even auditioned for Mary Poppins during this time as well. This role definitely changed her life completely. Now I remember many moons ago being a little girl and wanting to be in this play called, “The Sound of Music” the eighth graders in one of my schools I attended performed the play. I remember this very well one of the best moments for me.  I loved the costumes, especially the character of “Elsa the Baroness” she was stunning and had some of the best costumes in that film. The movie was just touching, tugs at your heart strings. You get to see the life of Maria Von Trapp & Captain Von Trapp.  If you look at one of the opening scenes of the movie. You will see the real Maria Von Trapp walking along with her daughters as well.


You also see the life of Maria at the church, her life living as a nun, and with the ordained nuns who live within the church as well. The music which was written, scored by Oscar winning songwriters, composers, Rogers & Hammerstein.
If you have not seen this film please go watch right away, I suggest with schnitzel and noodles, popcorn, pink lemonade, and Streudel. I am joking but whatever you prefer this movie is about almost 3 hours long but well worth every single moment of it’s grandeur and heart warming story. So make sure you look for the 50th anniversary edition dvd for “The Sound of Music”. For more information on the movie, the tourist attraction in Salzburg, Austria, The Von Trapp family, and the film. Visit http://www.sound-of-music.com 

No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...