Saturday, March 14, 2015

Life with Honey Brown Sugar: "My Twenties" 2006-2016


“Life with Honey Brown Sugar”: My twenties
All right my readers I have got a great idea I wanted to discuss with you all and maybe you will relive some of your best memories and also will inspire you to keep on enjoying the remainder of your twenties and of course your thirties, forties, and beyond. I use my blog of course not only to inform, educate, discuss different topics, and for entertainment. I also use it, as many of my readers know discuss my real life. I am honest and open with all of you because I feel like the many thousands of you who read my blog know this is a journey. I hope I get the opportunity and privilege to discuss many more stories happening in my life, the world, the news, and so much more. I actually found and started this blog when I was 21 going on 22 it was a couple weeks from my Twenty-second birthday (Oct 22, 2008) is the day I made my very first post. It has become a digital scrapbook of times in my life that have taught me to be stronger, braver, more creative, smarter, wiser, and a more well rounded person too.  So let’s talk about your twenties. All right here we go when I turned 18 on November 06, 2004. I was thrilled and very excited I had just celebrated my birthday with my family and old friends actually. I wish I had the blog when I first started college cause you really would have learned a whole bunch of things even more about me back then. I started college, as you know when I was 17 going on 18 at Bergen Community College. So I spent the majority of my time of course working on my Associates degree in Journalism and much more.  I want to start from my late teens and then go into my twenties cause you all will see the progression and also how important it really is to get your education, find your passion, and pursue your dreams even when challenges come along.  So yes I started at Bergen Community College and I had a tough choice deciding on Music Business or Journalism would be the two choices I had to decide on for college. Of course you all know I chose the latter. Now let me get in my college days. I was excited, nervous; it was new and of course unfamiliar. Now what you didn’t know was this I literally had 2 weeks to hurry up and get into a college. It was so late I remember I had to choose fast and quickly which college to go to right away. My high school GPA needed improvement it would have been higher. For me in high school (I attended Academy of Sacred Heart for a year and then Cathedral High School in New York City, NY). I struggled with Mathematics I had tutors who helped me and my teachers did too.  My GPA was not the best it could have been a 3.0 or 4.0 believe me but back in the day I didn’t master prioritize, organize, and time management. I became much better at it in college.  My first few years in college I have another confession I had to take remedial classes in Mathematics and English! Ahhhh I know but in order for me to get a move and start this was the only way. I was supposed to go to and attend BMCC (Borough of Manhattan Community College) but God had other plans in mind. So I attended and started my classes at Bergen Community College.  Here’s the bonus though I got to take these classes well one of them with my dear friend, Marisa (yes she was in my English class and it was the best). We passed obviously and went on to take the other classes that were necessary.  I am going to tell you all when you are in college (for my younger college age readers) it’s a struggle, a journey, you are learning true independence and self-reliance. I had to develop those character traits fast and quick to make sure I would be stronger and ready. College is as they say 25% Social 25% Mental, and 50% of what you learn while you are in class so listen up Mentally you are challenged especially for students who are full-time. So that is something that I can definitely stress to people. One tip take advantage of socializing with people who you may not even be that close with too. It is all beneficial and great for you to do because it will pay off in the end. I first came there and it was Macaroni (Marisa) and Me lol. Although she wasn’t there the whole duration, having her by my side definitely broke the ice and allowed me to be comfortable and ease into the school. It is a gorgeous well kept suburban campus but also very diverse and full of people from all walks of life and backgrounds too.  The one thing I can say when you are in your late teens, finding yourself, surround yourself with people who are on the same page as you, don’t be afraid to take chances, and open yourself to things that you may say “no” to as well.
From 2004-2005 was my freshman year and it was a great time for both of us, we really got to see who was on campus, which would teach us as well. This was a great time for me because this was the year I would take my first trip across the seas to Italy. That was my first trip and I enjoyed it learning Italian and the country.   At the time my friend and her mother invited me. It would have been nice to attend with my college but this was completely separate. Talk about your eyes being open. Everything for me was new, I think that time of my life for me was great, I can just tell you we had too much fun, a camcorder, camera, tons of pictures, and some of the best memories. My tips for college students if you choose to be an exchange student, take advantage of the trips given to you in college. I promise they will open major doors for you. It will make you not only appreciate America but also expose you to everything around the world too.  This was also around the time I think I may have went to my first nightclub as well. We (Marisa, her then boyfriend, his friends, and I all went to a nightclub way up near Nanuet, NY why do I remember this because it was freezing like an icicle.  My friends and I all had to be around 18-20 back then. Right before we could actually drink during that time. Going to a nightclub you see half-naked women in the club dancing was very new for me but nothing new though. We adjusted to that nightclub and that was the beginning of many nights partying in nightclubs and lounges. I met a couple guys on campus but nothing serious happened yet.  I also did work at a radio station as an office assistant. I started working for LA MEGA June 30, 2004. I worked in the account executive and sales department.  I started working there right after high school. I worked there I believe until about late December of 2005.
2005-2006 was my sophomore year of college you can say, I was well on my way fitting in and getting adjusted oh did I tell you I traveled 2 ½ hours by the way to get out on campus. Yes I traveled by bus taking a minibus or the 86 BUS from Newport Centre Mall I used to live down the street so I would wake up every morning walk down and take the bus then take the 163 bus to Bergen Community College. I couldn’t afford a car at the time so traveling for me was a great option. Talk about seeing all walks of life. I was exposed to a whole lot believe me. When I arrived back on campus this was a great time for me, it allowed me to know for sure what I wanted to do plus I was just working for a radio station as well as an office assistant. So yes it was a lot happening during that time. One point I want to remind you all that yes you can and you’re capable of multi-tasking. So I traveled between doing the job in the city and going to class full time. It was a lot to take in back then. I had to learn to priortize. The library in college became my best friend. It was the only place I could sleep, I could focus, and study. Also if I needed to meet a group as well it became a place for all of us to really learn from not only our professors but each other. A lot of people helped me back then.  

(AGES 19-21) FALL 2006- SPRING 2007-Third year at Bergen Community College my last year I remember this time very well cause this was when I met one man who I thought I may come to spend the rest of my life with too. I remember this year very well. He was 29 going on 30 we are about 9 years apart. It didn’t work out I am just going to tell you it’s two reasons. One he wanted children and so did I. two I was too young back then, I still needed to get myself together. We both wanted a big family of about 3 or 4 children back then.  So it just wasn’t the right time. Okay so I decided when I got back to college I was going to take more control, become better in my classes, really show them what I am made of and who I am as well. I really wanted to showcase and show the people on campus what I was made of as well. I remember this time of my life well I had a great summer actually. I had just come back from vacation at Martha’s Vineyard with my family; this was going to be my last year on campus. I had really come to enjoy my school and being there. I really discovered myself at this time. I had to join the student newspaper called, “The Torch”. I remember being so nervous and my professor had to reassure me that everything would be all right and I would fine. I walked into the Torch newspaper office September of 2006 and I asked two people who I would become good friends with as well.  November 06, 2006- I turned 20 years old and everything in my world kind of became more defined. I was dating even more people during this time I was meeting all different types of guys. Men from all different types of backgrounds, ethnicities, and lifestyles.  I also met one man who I kind of fell in love with as well.  He was almost 10 years older than me he was about 29 going on 30 and I was 19 going on 30. I met him in my Contemporary Moral Issues class at the time. The lesson there is you can  date someone who is older than you but you need to look at the long term. What they are really asking for as well. 
I met  some of the best people I got to know and learn from as well at my newspaper. Anyway, I got to the office and my life changed I got paid $25 dollars per article I wrote and if I made the headline I was paid $100.00 dollars. Now of course this wasn’t a lot of money but I am telling you at this time of my life it was well worth it. I had some of the best memories, traveling to River Park, New York going to our retreat at the Hilton Hotel and having fun with my staff members of the student newspaper. They who are all incredibly talented and went on to do many great things. We also had other retreat to the Catskills as well called a leadership retreat. I look back and yes those memories were some of the most challenging and busy times.  I did an internship at Universal Music Group in the Roc A Fella records division for my college credit, and then the next chapter of my life began…I entered Hunter College on August 27, 2007 I began my classes and entered in.


FALL 2007- SPRING 2008
This was a hard time for me readjusting back to New York, readjusting to a new commute, readjusting to a new school, it was challenging, on one hand it was one of those times I knew I was on my way to a new journey. There were moments I was really alone too. I didn’t have my people around me anymore now I was on my own to work on my education, focus on my plans as well. I can tell you this time of my life was the most challenging time ever. This was when I really learned you are going to have to put your “Big Girl Shoes” now.  I remember in 2008 I was looking for work. I was pretty tenacious about this one job. I use that word cause I remember one of the staffing counselors told me “You’re one of the most tenacious people I have ever met.” I was pretty flattered it meant a lot to me. I took that to heart. I started with Kelly Services Staffing in New York on June 12, 2008.
My college days…I was really to myself cause I knew during that time I wanted to focus but that wasn’t for long though. I met someone who was going to not only change my life in a way, inspire me, but also show me my real value as well. I met one friend of mine gave me an opportunity to write. He did become one of my close friends. I think without him I really wouldn’t have gone on to learn about some of the people who would open doors for me. Now although we may not have connected romantically. He did provide me with opportunities and experiences that helped me through some rough patches.  I just started at Hunter College I was meeting a lot of different people and it was a great time. I was happy to be in a diverse environment again. I was around people from all backgrounds. So that’s something I have always been used to actually.   My biggest challenge I will never ever forget though. I was in college and taking my classes. Then I get thrown with preparing for an exam that would become apart of my life for the next two years.  The CPE (CUNY Proficiency Exam) of New York is an exam for college students attending an CUNY University and have to show their writing, critical thinking, ideas, and opinions in a reading and writing exam. It took me so long to get this exam. Not only that I was struggling to get my job life together, manage my money financially, and so much more. It was overwhelming but I really tried to look at everything as a challenge. I couldn’t give up, it was challenging for me but I don’t believe I was taken it as seriously as I should have the first time. So it took a few times to really get it. As I said I had a lot of things going on at home, in school, personally, and was trying to get things on track too.

2008-2009 (Ages 22-23)
My second year at Hunter College was pretty good I felt more confident this was one of the best times because it was 2008 the year that President Obama was running for office. I was sporting my Obama buttons (I still have them) in support all over my backpack. The only thing about this year all though it was a great year for me. Financially I learned the biggest lesson ever. Whatever you do in college it doesn’t matter what university you attend. Do not I repeat do not fall behind half-time and skip getting your financial aid ready for college. I remember feeling horrible I couldn’t attend school for about 2 months actually. So I just hung around home. Yes I didn’t live on campus. I was accepted to Hampton University (I planned to attend and accepted to Hunter College). I had to go to Hunter because financially it was still a struggle. I would have gone believe me if I had the money. So in the mean time I was looking for work, and trying to get back on track. January rolled around and things were so much better. My social life was very busy during this time; I was dating a lot of people around this time, traveling to see friends and family.   I also was planning and wanted to join a sorority too.  I became interested and planned to be apart of trying to keep a float with my college life as well. I remember the big shows that were on TV that year was “Jersey Shore” I remember this was one of the biggest shows that hit the MTV airwaves cause I was always watching it. I remember during this time I was trying to find my way so I can get on a better path. This was the year I also went to Las Vegas and had a great ole fabulous time. Some of you can read some of my journey on the blog too. Just go back to the archives August 2009.

(Ages 23-24): 2009-2010
In the Fall of 2009 this was going to be my last semester, things were still very challenging during this time, financially for everyone. I remember this was the year everything would finally fall into place for me. I remember I was multitasking like no ones business. I am serious I was multitasking and running so much I lost about 10 pounds actually from running between New York and New Jersey. Yes I was literally running. I am serious. I was taking the PATH train, which was also one of my dear best friends seriously.  It wasn’t just a train for me…for me not only was it one of my sources of transportation but it was apart of me. I also took the Subway as well.  I think that Path train was really a big part of my life especially these college years. I hardly take the Path train now except if I happen to be heading into New Jersey to visit my friends. I plan on driving hopefully very, very soon. I have always had my permit since 2006 actually. I just needed the car, money to practice too. I took that train probably for about 14 years from when I first moved to Jersey City until the day I moved.  The PATH train was one block away from my apartment in Newport. So I was very lucky easy to get home, to work, and school. So anyway I was frequently traveling because I had kind of three jobs at one time it seemed like in a way. One job of course was completing my Media Studies degree I focused primarily on Print Journalism and Broadcast Journalism.  Second job I had a part-time job which would later become full-time at a law firm that one of my old friends worked at and she referred me and got me the opportunity of working in Hoboken, NJ for about 2 ½ years. I started on April 30, 2009. That job changed my life, how I felt about life as well, and it-opened doors for me. It not only gave me a new sense of independence as a young woman, my life started to fall into place, and also I felt comfortable cause I had my friends along the way. However, although things were falling into place, financially it was still challenging this was at the height of the economy crisis too. So there were a lot of lessons to be learned. I had to learn how to balance my money financially. One other great thing that happened during this time I passed that CPE exam I told you about. I also found love during this time too. I had fell in love again and I had to really learn how to balance it all and manage everything else. This was also when my blog for me was taking off too. It was an incredible time although the man I was dating and I are no longer dating. We are still good friends and that’s all right with me.  So 2009 was a big year for me actually and my family as well. Oh I didn’t tell you how I got my first credit card now for young people. Yes we are young, we need and we want certain things to keep up with times. I promise you get a credit card only for three reasons 1. Emergencies, 2. To save money, 3. To build credit when you are 100 percent ready. You often get about three years or so before your credit card expires. So I suggest you take your time. Me when I got this card believe me I didn’t want this card. This little black plastic card changed my life in some ways but it also taught me a valuable lesson, which I am teaching you all. Hold on to the card, if you know you’re a spender (have a loved one hold it for you until it’s a true emergency). This will help you believe me. I am grateful for this card if I didn’t have it I wouldn’t have been able to go on one of the best vacations of my life. Pay for my luxurious Trump International Hotel room \in Las Vegas, Nevada. I wouldn’t have been able to give my mother a cake for her 50th birthday party that year for about 100 people.  So yes credit cards are seductive and dangerous like that but you will be paying for it in the long run too. My advice hold on to that credit card, or if you really are not that strong or responsible with money. My advice tell them “no”.
(Ages 24-Age 25)
2010-2011
2010 was another one of the biggest years of my life this was the year that I was really traveling like crazy. I was still working for my boss in Hoboken, New Jersey as a real estate law administrative assistant.  My boss and I became really close actually he helped me even when I had to do an interview for my college class, “Interviewing Techniques”. So he always took care of me, breakfast on Fridays, blueberry, cinnamon apple muffins, egg sandwiches, I got bonuses, Godiva chocolates, and more.  My life working there was really good and he understood I was chasing a big dream as well. I was not only working there I started my internship for Shovio Broadcasting in January 2010 and worked in downtown Manhattan on West 38th street. As I was completing my internship for college credit I also focused on my classes, my load was light, very light. I probably had about four or three classes my last year and I made it out. I would graduate from Hunter College on June 3, 2010 at the beautiful and world famous, Radio City Music Hall. I remember telling someone I wanted my own show, they asked me what do you want to do after college with your degree? I wanted to discuss different topics. I had a big plan still do. I also continued writing my blog, and many other things. This time in life was fun, exciting I was exposed to a lot during my internship for my Media Studies degree, you get to see how production really works, and how the television production and internet business works as well. This opportunity I believe was one that would open up a huge door for me. I continued working and desperately wanted to follow my passion of writing, media, and many other creative fields.  Shovio Broadcasting was internship I did where television hosts connect with their fans via Internet. They can call in, type messages, and watch the show. I was Star and BucWild’s who is Star & BucWild?  They were formerly on Hot 97 morning show but have been on the radio I believe back in Philly and Vladtv as well. I was their intern for about 4 months and it was definitely one of the moments you don’t want to forget.  Now the spring of 2011 was a really important year for me I had to make some important decisions. I loved my job in Hoboken but I also felt that I loved media and I eagerly wanted to get started. I felt this need to break away from my job and wanted to take a chance. I would be working in the office some days and then I would take a lunch break focus on my blog and writing. I grew a deep passion for it because I had so many topics to discuss. I would have to rush sometimes but if my boss ever knew this just know I was following my calling, didn’t mean to slack on anything, he knew that I wanted to be a writer and whether that was working for a magazine, producing, reporting, it was important to me. I am glad I did this actually. I told him November of 2010 I would resign from my job. It was really difficult, I didn’t want to leave, I loved the staff we had two lawyers working, and the people visiting us as well. The only thing that prevented me at that time was just realizing if I didn’t leave the job I was going to be stuck there. I wouldn’t follow my passion; I left the job on January 7, 2011. I remember being completely heartbroken. I didn’t want to but I had to though. If I didn’t it wasn’t going to be good for any of us. I left and 3 months later I stayed home looking for jobs, helping around the house, of course still helping my mother. About a month or so later she decided that we would move. I think this is when I learned the true lesson of what’s important, what’s valuable. Of course family always is I had some really tough choices to make that year. I would leave my home, the home where I really grew up at from age 10-age 24. I left Jersey City on September 24, 2011 and moved back to New York. In a way it worked out because I was able to not only work and join Black Enterprise Magazine. I joined their television broadcast team and this became a huge part of my life. This was the first time I got to feel like I was heading into the right direction. It was a part-time job paid internship but I loved every moment of it.  Whenever we would go on vacation or hiatus I would also do temp assignments to fill the gap too.  The job was a good opportunity for me to be around people who all had the same passion. Whenever all 7 of us came together in our conference room it was a great experience because it taught me how to produce, how to write, connect, and be really detail-oriented as well. That’s one memory I will never forget.


(25-26)
2011-2012
So as I settled into my life here in New York City I also became a volunteer in January of 2011 with New York Cares I love all of their programs and they also added a huge balance to my life. It was about chasing dreams but I think it gave me a real sense of humility and reminded me it’s okay to a good person. 2012, I continued with my internship. The blog continued to take off, and as we know I not only became a volunteer for New York Cares, I volunteered with Obama’s 2012 campaign. It taught me about giving back always makes a huge impact on everyone’s lives. I met a lot of people.  I stayed in Washington, DC for about 2 months looking for a job and actively volunteering as well. I loved it I met so many people from all backgrounds they touched my life and I hope I did with them too.


(26-27)
2012-2013
In early October I joined a newspaper as a contributing writer. I do plan to submit more pieces one day. In late October of 2012 I came back to New York during this time I tried to get my job back as well.  I came back in the beginning of 2013 and assisted them. I did leave in 2013 and focused on other opportunities. I worked on finding new jobs. My twenties during this time I think allowed me to just have fun. For some reason I feel like I got in trouble during this time I was sort of rebelling for some reason. I don’t know I wanted to prove somehow I was capable of holding my own. I tried to break out. I got my belly button pierced during this time. I started experimenting more with my hair. I still do actually. I found other odd jobs a lot of people helped me during this time. I joined a marketing company and started doing promotions as well. Of course the blog was still always there for me to carry on. My blog is sort of like my release to get everything out. I rekindled friendships during this time and I also was doing a lot of traveling as well getting back to working for my staffing agencies. I think this was when I really started thinking about the future as well. A lot happened to me during this time in my life I think made me appreciate a lot of things. It made me want to figure out what I wanted to do as a young woman and what kind of woman did I want to be as well.


(27-28)
2013 into 2014 for me was a great time as I said I was actively working during this period traveling. I became a better professional. I think I also just wanted to move forward as well. Move into the direction of having what I always dreamed of as well.  I accomplished a lot during 2014, I started working for my marketing company on a consistent basis, I achieved success with my blog and became more versatile in media, my goals became bigger, I started really focusing and paying attention to them. 2014 was a big year for me. So much really happened actually.  It’s a lot of me to discuss, but I will tell you one thing, I accomplished great things, with New York Cares, with the blog, and personally I am truly grateful.



(28-29)
2014-2015
What am I going to do in my last year of my twenties I will be 29 in November.  It is now 2015, I still work for my staffing agencies doing many assignments, So I am apart of 4 technically but plan to join more, I am signed with Kelly Services Staffing Winston Staffing, Jennifer Temps, and Page Personnel staffing. I will continue with my marketing promotions for the Hart Agency hopefully this summer, my writing, I plan for this year to make this blog an even better success, I plan to hopefully start the next chapter of my life, I would love to settle down very soon just putting it out there.  My biggest goal for 2015 is a full-time position whether media or an administrative position that’s the biggest goal, I hope to move into my bought and owned apartment (technically the apartment I live in is half-mine, I take care of it of course) not just for the sake of independence but Honey Brown Sugar would like to be a wife and mom one day to her fine hubby and little many brown sugar babies lol so that’s one big dream, I plan on finish writing a few books I am working on a lot believe me.  I plan to continue to work and write: a biography, a few fictional stories: young adult and I wrote one book about a beautiful African American fairy I completed back in 2012 actually I hope to get it published that is a children’s book, a cook book full of delicious, healthy, and creative family recipes from my mother, my family members, and myself that I have grown up with, that are traditional,
This picture I know was definitely taken when I was about 19 going on 20. Lol Love my tan lol! Summer 2006

At home February 2015

2011 just turned 25 in this photo 

Meeting the Mayor Vincent in Washington, DC 2012 just cut my hair too 


Summer September 2014-doing a promotion for Viniq Vodka delicious

Visit http://www.viniq.com 

February 2015-out with the family at the NBA All star events 

2014- I was in Jacksonville, Florida at the time. On my dad's friends motorcycle lol!

2011-at the brand new memorial for Dr. Martin Luther King my mom on the right & my grandmother

2012-met the Victoria Secret models one of the best memories 

My first day starting at Macy's working for the holiday season November 2014
and created by me and them as well. I also have a few other business ventures in mind.  I plan to do more traveling too so I have more interesting stories to tell you all believe me, and doing a lot of fun things. I want to enjoy my year of being 28 and the beginning of being 29 this year cause there’s a lot I have in mind. You never know with me…that am one thing I am a bit unpredictable. I have a lot on my plate but God, technology, and many people in my life have helped me multi-task, make things happen faster, and manage to make things so much easier and balanced. So for this year you never know with me please stay tuned my readers there’s a lot in store believe me. Love to all of you. Thanks for reading about my crazy twenties.











No comments:

“Dear Future Wifey” Podcast changing, inspiring love lives and keeping it LIT"

  It is officially springtime in the Northern Hemisphere part of the world the weather is finally getting warmer, humid, and hotter feeling ...